Friday, November 27, 2009

Who Are These Guys?


I found this wthout comment on the Wally Wood Yahoo group. It seems to have been there awhile and yet I'd somehow never before noticed it. Looks to me to be from the mid-sixties. Good to see Woody looking so robust but who are these other guys? His assistants? It occurs to me that I don't think I've ever seeen photos of any of the Woodworkers from that period! I have educated guesses on the identities of all three of these guys but I'm sure many of you out there actually know so please ID them for us in the comments rather than me speculating! Thanks!

5 comments:

  1. One of 'em's gotta be Dan Adkins, Steve. But I dunno, who do you think they are? Great pic anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking one of these guys is Dan Adkins and one Ralph Reese. The other maybe Roger Brand or...?? Those who know are out there. They just haven'tcommented yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our friend Alan Kupperberg writes:
    Steve,
    This has been driving me nuts since yesterday. Second from the left is Adkins, no problem. And I suspect the guy on the right may be a fan.

    My first impression was that the guy on the far left was Sid Check. But he looks too young. He also looks like Jud Hurd. Or Gold Key editor, Wally Green. But again, too young.
    But I feel as though I recognize him, but can't place him. I'll keep thinkin' an' cogatatin'!
    Best,
    AK

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alan K comes through--Mystery Solved!

    Steve,

    The person on the left is the cartoonist Steve Stiles.
    The person on the right is the musician Colin Cameron.
    Note name tags. This photo was taken at a New York comics convention in 1966.
    This info comes courtesy Bhob Stewart via Larry Hama.

    Best,
    Alan Kupperberg

    I told Alan I thought Colin Cameron seemed random but he confirmed it was the longtime bass player himself--this guy: http://colincameronbass.com/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, now we can move on to the other Steve Stiles mystery. How could it be that two science fiction illustrators are both named Steve Stiles? The "other" SS did barbarian-type sf paintings, and his work was evident on the Internet about ten years ago. Then he and his art both vanished shortly before the better known Steve Stiles brought his sf cartoonery to the Internet. Odd but true.

    Bhob @ Potrzebie

    ReplyDelete